Secret Recipe Handed Down for Generations

Ok, this is a little weird. I don't really do the recipe posts.  But I decided to  share this one with y'all in spirit of the storm raging on the East coast.  If anyone is in need of some snuggling up, getting cozy and eating some of the most delicious soup in the world, it's you guys.

This recipe is a secret family recipe that is not about to be so secret anymore.  It's my Grandma's famous Clam Chowder.  And it is to die for.

I even tried to take some pictures like professional food bloggers do. you go Glenn Coco.
ok, here is the recipe.

2 cans of minced clams (save the juice)
1 c. of diced potatoes
1/2 c. of chopped onions
1 c. of celery
2/3 c. of butter (this is comfort food people)
2/3 c. of flour
1 pint of half and half
1 pint of milk
1 1/2 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of sugar
and a pinch of pepper.

and this is how you do it.
Gather your vegetables and chop them up until you have enough for what the recipe asks for.
put them all in a pan. Then, open the clams and drain the juice into the pan of vegetables.  Set the clams aside in a bowl for later.




























If the clam juice doesn't cover the top of the vegetables, add just enough water to cover the rest.  You don't want a lot, just enough to make sure everything gets cooked.  Cover that pan and boil it until everything is tender.  While the veggies are cooking, in a separate pan, melt your butter.  Once it is melted add the flour and mix that all in.  Once that is smooth pour in the half and half and then the milk.  Make sure you are stirring the entire time.  just keep stirring. just keep stirring stirring stirring, what do we do? we stir, stir... ok back on track.  Now, you are going to want to stir the soup part until it is really thick.  You might think, "Ooh, this is the perfect consistency that I want my soup to be."  Well, keep stirring, because you are going to add the veggies along with all the clam juice and water so it's going to water it down.  So stir it til it's really thick.




























Once you get to the thickness you want, and the vegetables are cooked, pour the entire contents of the other pan into the soup.  Dump in the clams and add the sugar, salt, pinch of pepper and mix her all up.


and you're good to go. You got a whopping pan of the world's yummiest soup.




























Dish yourself up a bowl, grab a plate of croissants and go get caught up on Modern Family.  And try not to get swept away in the storm. I'm serious.

8 comments:

  1. Oh boy, now is when I tell you how much I don't like seafood.

    But I love your dishes. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks pretty yummy and I don't even like clam chowder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I think this was for me. Yep. I need to go to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i want clam chowder. and to catch up on modern family. also, i think your toaster back there is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I wasn't a veggie who didn't eat clams I would totally make this cause it looks yum. You're such a great wifey! Landon is lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I stuck my nose to the phone to smell it but couldn't do one day your gonna have to make it for me! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget