Hawaii: Kalalau Hike

I would have posted this last night for my family to catch up on, but I was busy throwing up and not being able to walk and all.  Yesterday we braved the 8 mile Kalalau hike.  it's two miles to the Na Pali beach and then another two up to a waterfall in the Hanakapi'ai Valley.  Now I am no hiker.  I told you in the last post that hiking brings out this side of me that you will never see otherwise.  Mostly an "I'm dying" side.  But I am proud to tell you that I only collapsed in despair once on the entire hike.  And it was on the way back.  This wasn't just a nature walk kind of hike.  It was hiking over huge, slippery rocks, sometimes on two foot wide trails with a drop to your death on one side.  I found this hiking stick hanging in a tree about half way through and I think it was a gift from God.  In fact, as I pulled it off the branch I am pretty sure I heard a voice say, "If you don't take this stick you will probably die. and by 'probably' I mean you will."  I wore my chacos which turned out to be a big mistake in the long run because they have zero arch support and I just got out of bed just now to pee and I basically had to crawl. I am so sore. And when we got to the waterfall, instead of eating like everyone else, Skyler and I ran and jumped in the pool under the waterfall.  So I didn't have a single thing to eat all day except some licorice.  My fault really, I wasn't hungry the entire day, but I am pretty sure that is the reason I was throwing up on the way home. My body thought I was going through severe dehydration and starvation or something, got pissed and then got even.  So while everyone else was eating home made stew, I was chowing down on saltine crackers and ginger ale. But I feel amazing this morning. (minus the not being able to walk thing.)

Now that I have gotten all of the complainy things out of me, I want to tell you how truly amazing this hike was.  The hike alone was so lush and green, trees and flowers and fruit everywhere. And I have never seen anything so breathtakingly gorgeous as that waterfall.  Definitely worth the 8 mile hike over treacherous rocks and mud.  We got to the top and just stood there in awe.  My old roommate Rosie was in Kauai a few months ago and she insisted we go on this hike so we did.  When we got to the beach at the half way mark, everyone was discussing whether we should turn around or keep going up to the waterfall.  And I said, "We HAVE to go to the waterfall!"  and they were all, "IT'S FOR THE BLOG!" which was half true, but mostly because I didn't want Rosie to find out we only got halfway.  So Rosie, if you're reading this, I hope your proud. I hiked in your honor. :)

Now for the part your waiting for: the pictures.








This was the sign right before the beach and it says, 
"HANAKAPIA BEACH WARNING! DO NOT GO NEAR THE WATER! UNSEEN CURRENTS HAVE KILLED 77 VISITORS!"








 Landon decided he had to make a rock stack bigger than all the rest.  He succeeded.






 First glimpse of the 300 foot waterfall.




That water we decided had to be a whopping 50 degrees. You just had to jump in and swim for your life to the other side because you literally could not breathe for the first minute.  Once you lost all your nerve endings though, it felt fine. The view you had floating on your back and looking up is one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen.

The hike back was the hard part, but we made it.  And I left my walking stick I found at the beginning of the trail next to the sign.  In case any bad hikers came along in need of an extra leg.

6 comments:

  1. that "i'm dying" side. all too familiar with it. harvest. senior year.

    at least we didn't look fat in those pictures.

    also, you look lovely. glad you're loving hawaii!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hike is the worst, when we did that hike we were told it was two miles round trip- we thought we were lost in the Hawaii forest and but then we found the water fall and it was so so worth it!

    Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time I hiked in Hawaii I fell on my ass multiple times and then cried. I'm just not a hiker.

    Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. STILL JEALOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Hawaii looks beautiful! So jealous!

    http://www.teenyhippie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow! these pictures are gorgeous!! what fun, you are making me really jealous because i've never been to Hawaii

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget