Hawaii: Zodiac Tour

*Disregard what I said yesterday about not having any pictures from today. Because you're about to be bombarded with photos.*
We went out today on a zodiac tour.  It's this little raft the size of a Kipper Snack can. And you sit on the sides and hold onto a rope for dear life while hitting humongous swells.   You probably won't believe me when I say that when you see the pictures, but hear me out on this.  I only took my precious baby camera out when I was absolutely positive it was safe. It was pretty spectacular getting to go all the way up the West side of the coast.  This island is so beautiful, I've never seen anything like it.




We even ran into a whole gang of dolphins.  There must have been at least fifty of them all around us.  They were in their sleeping state, but there was this little baby one that was jumping all over the place.





This was our guide, he was awesome with telling us stories about the island and ancient legends and whatnot, but what he was really good at was maneuvering the boat around in really tight spots.  Like this cave.  Seriously, the waves were huge and all over the place, and he still got us in there.
He also did not allow "whining" on his boat.  And he said if we whined and then "accidentally" fell overboard he wouldn't turn around to get us.  He said they don't call the water "rough", but "exciting."  
So after a very exciting day of holding onto a rope and keeping myself onto a bucking bronco type boat, my arms and back are feeling very...exciting.
but totally worth it.


This view of the island was my FAVORITE.  Those ridges are all created from waterfalls over millions and millions of years.







This "X" in the rock has a legend of one of the goddess' of the islands leaving this mark.  They said their is one of these marks on every single Hawaiian island.  The scientific explanation though, is the rock cracks and the lava comes up and dries vertically.

These are the remains of an ancient temple.  The guide was very serious about the sacredness of this area.
this is the fruit that was growing on the spot we stopped on.  A lot of it was on the ground and it smelled like feet.  Landon was brave enough to taste it, but when they said locals only ate it in times of starvation, I decided to decline.

When we got done with the zodiac tour we drove up Waimea Canyon.  I couldn't believe how amazing this place was.  It was kind of like the Grand Canyon, but a lot greener.  And the temperature was perfect.

















After the trip down the canyon, we stopped at Jo-Jo's Shaved Ice which is rumored to be the best shaved ice on the island.  And it definitely didn't disappoint.  Especially when you got to the vanilla ice cream under the shaved ice.

Today definitely was considered a success.  Even though I can barely move my body.  We got back to the condo and Landon and I threw together an amazing dinner for everyone.  We cooked up some fresh salmon, mashed potatoes and a green salad.  We impressed everyone with our mad cooking skills. and then promptly crashed on the couch and I think Landon, Kenyon and I are the last awake.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe you were that up close with dolphins, especially ones in the wild! So very cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last time I was promised that I would see dolphins. All that I got was seasick.

    I am so jealous of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So it's okay if I totally hate you right now correct and then when you come back to the land of the living I will not be a jealous witch and live you again. Hawaii! Really! Good grief this is heaven sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just getting caught up on all of your posts. SO JEALOUS. It looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hawaii, these shots make me miss it even more! Beautiful photos girl, and tell Flanders I like his rock stack lol

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget