The Festival of Colors Rant

It's that time of year again. The Festival of Colors has come rolling around here in Utah County.  And news of this huge celebration has swept the nation and I know that TONS of you are wishing you could be here for it.  Well, don't. Stop.  Because it's not what it used to be.  The first year I went it was an experience.  We learned A TON about the Krishna Religion.  There was belly dancers, and speeches and we were taken through the temple and taught a lot about the history and religion.  There was over 10,000 people there that year.  It broke the record for the biggest Holi in the country.  When it was time to throw the colors, there was a witch in the center of us all that they lit on fire to represent the death of Winter and the throwing of the colors represented the coming of Spring.

The second year, I went with Landon.  The size of the crowds probably tripled and they had to break them up into two different throwings.  One on Saturday and one on Sunday.  It was still under control and a good time, but last year it was too much.  There were four different throwings over the weekend. High school kids, college kids, Junior High, dogs, babies, field trips.  There were TOO MANY PEOPLE.  Trying to control the crowds meant foregoing a lot of the other activities, because it had become all about throwing chalk so everyone could post their pictures of their colored faces.  But what really just killed me last year was this:

This is my sister and her friends next to the Krishna Temple.  But look behind them.  Those hand prints ALL OVER the same temple that they ask you to remove your shoes to enter out of respect.  It made me sick to my stomach to hear the leaders coming over the microphone begging people to not put their hand prints on the temple.  THOUSANDS of people were here at this celebration thrown by a religion that wasn't their own, the LEAST they could do was show a little respect to the grounds and the temple.

I'm not going this year.  I've had my fill.  Plus, I would like to remember the times that it wasn't about the instagram and Facebook pictures, but a learning experience and chance to bond with and understand people of a different religion.  

But I'm asking you, if you do go this year, please be respectful.
And have fun.  It really is a good time.

9 comments:

  1. Oh jeez. That's awful.

    Also. Your blog won't show up in bloglovin. So I haven't been ignoring you. Bloglovin has. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't I read somewhere that it costs money this year, outside of buying chalk? That was my point of "Ok, this has really gotten ridiculous," but seeing that picture makes it even more so. I went once and that was definitely plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to pay like, $6 or so last year to get in. And I don't have a problem with that. I love supporting these guys. But yeah, I think they should sell a limited amount of tickets. I mean that first year, there were THOUSANDS and it was still awesome, but make a cut off at some point around there.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness. This is so sad. I've never been but always wanted to go. But now that you've filled me in on what it's turning into, I am totally disinterested. It makes me real angry when religions and beliefs are disrespected by outsiders. Boo to the hooligans leaving messy hand prints everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness. I blame the color run. "Yay look at me I'm covered in color but I don't know why!" The things people do for a damn facebook photo.

    This makes me so sad and I am proud of you for being respectful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, I love what Tiff said about the color run.

    One semester I wrote for my college newspaper, and I had to go to a Holi thing and interview people about it. That's the only reason I know a darn thing about it. It's basically the color run without the run. But still super fun. (and that's my unintentional kindergarten poem for the day)

    But with thousands of people?!? I would die. I hate people. Especially people with bags of color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard about this particular Utah County festival, but I had a lot of Indian friends in college, and I learned a lot about their holy days. It's really too bad that it has turned into such a spectacle, and isn't so much about the religious aspect and the celebration of spring.

    Also, I'm with Michelle. I hate people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you, it used to be so fun! Now its just sad! I am so frustrated in how it keeps getting worse and worse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it has really turned in to such a joke! wayyyy too many people and everyone is super disrespectful and i hate it. we refuse to go now as well.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget