In Which I Hope She Was Serious

Day 25, Saturday: Something someone told you about yourself that you'll never forget (good or bad)


This is going to sound really, really dumb.  But something that has stuck with me that I will never forget was in 9th grade.  I had some how been elected a Student Body Officer with the rest of the popular kids even though I was not in that elite crowd.  There was this girl in there with me.  Probably the most beautiful girl in the whole school, I'm not kidding.  And I was terrified of her.  She had her friends in office and I had mine, and we only really interacted in big meetings and stuff.  

Now at this time in my life, my cousin had taught me the art of the messy bun.  I had my hair in a messy bun every day.  I'm telling you I ROCKED the messy bun back then.  Whether it was half up or all of my hair, rarely did you see my hair not in a messy bun.  Mostly because my hair is thin and has no body so I hated just wearing it down.  I always needed something giving it life.  But one day, I didn't.  I just straightened it and went on my way.  

When I got to school, I went down to the officer's room for the Advisory period and this girl was standing near the door.  She looked at me for a second, and I smiled even though I felt as though I was shrinking to the size of an ant, and she said to me, "Oh my gosh Whitney, I love how your hair looks when it's down."  I was completely at a loss of what to say except for a meek, "Really? Thank you?" I couldn't believe that not only did the prettiest and most popular girl in school just give me a compliment, but she gave me a compliment on something that I hated about myself.  I wasn't even sure if she was serious, like maybe she was pulling a Regina George on me:



Regardless if she was being serious or not (which I hope she was) that one little sentence she said to me, ended the era of the messy bun. I can't even get my hair to do one anymore! And I really only just wear my hair down now. And I love it that way.  Even though this girl and I never did mesh, or find ourselves in the same circle.  That one nice thing she said will stay with me forever.

6 comments:

  1. You have the most gorgeous hair! Isn't it weird how one mean girl compliment changes everything? Gah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh.

    I'm not really sure what to say to this except... you are so hot my friend... hair up or down.. and middle school is a bitch

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny how that works, growing up people used always compliment me on my hair (i have so much body, volume, and poof, and frizz) and then in middle school people used to tease me about it. You're beautiful, and so is your hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Besides her being a little punk, I love that she told you that. Sometimes that single sentence is really all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know who this is. She told me once in choir that I cracked her up and to this day I still can't figure out why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww, I hope she was being serious! at least you took it that way, and that's what matters :)

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget