In Which I Overcome Things

Day 16, Thursday: Something difficult about your "lot in life" and how you're working to overcome it


This is a touchy subject for me.  I feel like I've had a pretty great life you know?  Sure there are ups and downs that have had to be dealt with, but as for permanent problems that I have no control over I don't have many.  But there is one that ailed me for most of my life, and sometimes I still struggle with it.

I'm tall.

I'm really tall. Hit six feet a couple summers ago.  It's not so bad anymore, now that I'm married and Landon's family and his friends are all pretty tall, I hang with a lot of people my size.  But growing up?  It was rough on me.  I was ALWAYS the tallest girl around.

I still tower over all these girls.

I was always the tallest chorus member in all the school plays.

right there. dead center.

I didn't get asked on as many dates as other girls because none of the boys in high school could compete with my height.  Jeans were too short, shirts were too short. I couldn't find cute shoes in size 10.  

and don't get me started about when I moved out of my parent's and into an apartment of midgets.
At all of the dances, parties and social events I just looked like the jolly green giant next to them.  And they were all so cute and teensy.  I felt like a bull in a china shop.  At their weddings, I towered over the bride AND groom.

Remember the guy I say I dated ONLY because he was 6'9? I'm not lying.  I know that sounds shallow and narrow-minded, but I LOVED feeling small next to him.  Where I didn't just have to get on my tippy toes to kiss him, but he actually had to BEND OVER for me.  It was a dream come true. Minus the fact that he was kind of a creep....

There are some really great things about being tall.  I can reach stuff on the top shelves, I can see everything at concerts, I'm good at swimming, I can ride all the roller coasters....but ultimately the one reason I have overcome my lot of being tall is due to Landon.  I remember the first time he and I hung out together by ourselves, we got out of his Bronco and he walked next to me and said, "Wow. You are really tall."  Immediately, I was so ashamed and I tried to slump down a little bit to seem shorter and said, "I know....." He could sense my shame and said, "No, I think it's awesome! I just hadn't noticed it."  I was taken aback by this compliment.  Usually people don't to stand next to me because I make them feel short.  But this guy- this guy thought it was awesome.


And to this day, if you ask Landon was his favorite part about me is, he will tell you:
 "Her boobs and her height."

and that is how I've overcome this lot.
and seen myself with different eyes.
the eyes of someone who can truly love me for things that I've hated about myself.


and I still have to get on my tippy toes to kiss him.

16 comments:

  1. "I hang with a lot of people my size."

    "I can ride all the roller coasters."

    Fit. Of. Giggles. I cannot stop.

    I also love you for your height and your boobs. Me and Landon...always on the same page.

    But seriously, I've always been the tallest of my friends, and even though I'm only 5'7, I know what it's like to be with a guy who makes you feel small. It's great.

    And the selection of size 10 shoes has gotten much better over the years...at least here in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the opposite problem--I'm only 5'5" and I'm always the shortest person around! haha. I definitely envy your height!

    ReplyDelete
  3. although im not over 6 foot, i feel ya! i'm 5'9"ish or something like that and i was always one of the tallest girls in my class..even through college. and it was always a hassle to find a date to any dances/weddings/etc because i always wanted someone who was taller than me. and lemme tell ya, i love a good pair of heels.
    yet i never get to wear them :(
    thankfully kirk is a smidge taller than i am. and if we go out and i have on heels he will wear a shoe with somewhat of a heel just so he feels taller than me haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are perfect JUST the way you are.

    Also, can I have a little back story on the cow (I think?) costume you are wearing up there? Thank you.

    :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your boobs and your height are my favorite things about you too. Or maybe that's creepy. How about your boobs and the goat? Okay.

    But really. I think you're about a foot taller than me. AND THAT'S OKAY. We can help each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 6'1" and have always LOVED being tall. I'm not really sure why, just did. I am definitely with you on the having dated someone just because they were a giant. I actually didn't date all that much because I had a minimum height requirement. People laugh at me when I tell them that, but there really is something about being able to feel dainty next to the guy you're dating. I love that Mike is six inches taller than me because he makes me feel small/protected. And I can wear ridiculous heels and still be shorter than him.
    I think it's great that you've learned to appreciate your height!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. TALLS FOR LIFE! I couldn't have said it better myself. Although you are one inch taller than me. And I don't have any boobs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And also, more about the cow costume por favor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's a consensus we all pretty much love your boobs and your height, hehe! Oh Lando, so sweet! I don't think the size 10 shoe selection has gotten better here. Every time I go to Ross thinking I'll find something awesome, the size 10 section has been pillaged and there are scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this. i tell ya, those boys know what to say and how to make us feel special. they take the things we're most self-conscious about and make them the main reasons they love us.
    i don't know how they do it, but i am sure glad they do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You totally pulled at my heart strings with this post, I really felt for you and then when you wrote about the interaction between you and Landon getting out of the Bronco my heart melted a little.

    ReplyDelete
  12. remember how you're taller then me?

    that's my favorite thing about you except not really, I love you for so much more then that.

    P.S. are you coming next weekend? sometimes I leave comments that really should be text or voiced over the phone. but i'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is this my life story? I think it is! For some reason, all my friends are in the 5'3" arena and I'm just not OK with it. I feel like I'm babysitting toddlers around them.

    I'm jealous of your boobs.

    Also, so glad you found a tall guy. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this post!!! Thank you for sharing -- I'm a shortie, but I definitely can see how being tall growing up and in dating would be a tough obstacle to deal with. So glad that you've found a way to accept it and embrace it -- and relish the benefits!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy you found a group of people your size. I was getting worried there for ya.

    I was always tall too, but only 5'9'. I love dating taller guys for the exact same reason and thhhhen I ended up with someone shorter. grr.. Still bothers me sometimes, even though I know it's totally ridiculous and it shouldn't. He doesn't care at all, but I think you hit it on the head. I just want to feel small!

    ReplyDelete
  16. He really tells people that he loves your boobs best? That is hilarious.

    I love that you're so tall. It turns out that all of my favorite blogger girls are giants.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget