In Which I Take You Through My Day

Day 15, Wednesday: A Day in the life (include photos from throughout your typical day - this could be "a photo an hour" if you'd like)


This post has potential to completely go over your head or bore you to tears because my life has been pretty repetitive here for the last month.  We've been paving a runway out at the air port and it's been a pretty gnarly job.  We are finishing up here this week, though.  So too bad this prompt isn't due next week where I might actually do something other than work.  But who knows. Maybe one day I'll look back on this and remember the good ol' days of testing asphalt and aggregates.

So without further ado, here is a brief overview of what my days consist of:
 

[1] Pop Tarts and a Rockstar.  Nothing kicks your butt into gear like a sugar/caffeine rush.  This does need to be followed up with more at some point in the day.  No time for crashes.

[2]  I work up on the side of a mountain, the view is incredible and I am able to watch the sun rise over the ridge every morning.  It's one of my favorite parts of the day.

[3] When I go out to sample our products we crush, I always keep my eye out for these two geese.  They've been hanging around here for a couple weeks now and they are so. goofy.  They think they own the place.

[4] We get our samples of asphalt from the airport around eleven.  This is the beginning of a few different processes.  

[5] After we get our samples from the field, we usually take that little break while they are being burned in an incinerator at nearly 600 degrees Celsius to get some food-age.  This is a perfect opportunity for another hit of caffeine and sugar.  Kill two birds with one stone and get the Baja Blast Freeze from Taco Bell.  One of the few quality items on that menu....

[6] This is what the asphalt looks like after it's been burned and washed.  This is when I get to divide it up into little piles and measure them.  What I really think this test is measuring is my mental stability.

[7] Another test of the asphalt where I weigh the puck in the air, then put it in the water for four minutes and get the weight on a scale suspended in this diseased tank of water, then dry it off for four seconds and get the weight in the air again. I could try to explain this test and it's purpose more to you, but I probably lost you a long time ago, so we'll just move on ahead to number 8....

[8] If I get home before the moon is up, I like to spread a blanket out on our lawn and just chill under the shade of our pine trees that I love so much.  (Except for when they drip sap all over my windshield and I literally cannot get it off with ANYTHING.)   I did this the other day and caught up on the Office which was a bad idea because I openly wept on my blanket as people walked by.  

[9] Last night I was able to wrap up my evening with a much needed Google Hangout.  This isn't a daily occurrence, but it is a weekly one.  And getting 45 minutes with my friends literally is what my week revolves around.

The rest of the night generally is me making Landon and me quesadillas and then I pass out for the night.  Give me a week and I will be so much more lively. I promise.  Once I'm done with these hours and working 7 days a week.

10 comments:

  1. For a half a second I thought #4 was what's behind the counter at Moe's, or Chipotle, or whatever burrito place I can name that you'll know. Now I'm hungry...and that's most definitely not food.

    #9 is my favorite.

    #8 looks relaxing, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Openly weeping at The Office- ugh. Smash my heart in a million pieces. I know the feeling.

    I AM COMING TO THE NEXT HANGOUT. I AM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing Alissa did about #4. Whoops.

    Is it weird that I kind of understand the purpose of those tests? Now I feel like some kind of nerd.

    Also, you made me crave Quesadillas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally agree with alissa on #4. it looked like a weird combo of spinach and blue cheese? idk. moving on...

    fun fact: i went to school for civil engineering so some of this nonsense actually makes sense to me. especially since i had to take TWO soils classes and in both we had classify the soil and all that good crap with the sieves and such.

    also i need to get with the time and get a laptop with a freakin webcam so i can be a part of #9 at least once

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of #9.

    I'm not really a fan of number 2. That's poop lingo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never knew. Just never knew.

    Glad that you had some 2 and 9 in there. Except that 2 wasn't by choice...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad that quesadillas are a staple in someone else's diet. Sometimes I feel like a craptastic wife because my dinners (which, ya know, only get cooked once or twice a week lately) tend to be things like quesadillas, grilled cheese, and pasta with sauce. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Office made me sob, too. It wasn't pretty. I physically will not be able to handle the finale tonight.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget