Rueben in a Blanket

You guys.  I'm a genius.  No, I really am!  I made up a completely (somewhat) original recipe last night.  I call it, Rueben in a Blanket:


I was perusing through Pinterest trying to find easy recipes for dinner I saw something that was "pigs in a blanket-esque" and I was like, "meh, those were fun when I was five, but vienna sausages just aren't my thing."  And then I got thinking about what would be my thing.  Fun fact: I love Ruebens.  But not the typical ones.  The cheap knock offs.  I used to work at this little sandwich shop in high school and their Ruebens consisted of white bread, corned beef, swiss cheese, pickles, sauerkraut, mayo and mustard.  So almost like a Rueben, but you're missing the classic Rye bread and the famous thousand island dressing crap.  I prefer it sans those two things.  So, I'm like, a Rueben in a blanket sounds amazing.  But then at the store, I couldn't find corned beef in the lunch meat section so I just bought regular beef. So now I was at the point where the only Rueben thing about all this was the swiss cheese and sauerkraut.  I'm over here like, "this could be really great or a huge failure."  Well friends,  they turned out better than imagined.  I made a little mayo/mustard dip thing that we dipped them in and can I just say, it was exquisite?  It took all my will power to put a few away for our lunches tomorrow instead of eating the whole pan in one sitting.

If you could see me right now, I'm still just beaming with pride.
So here is the world's easiest recipe should you feel a hankering for a Rueben in a Blanket:

ingredients
those croissant things
any meat resembling corned beef, roast beef, beef or pastrami.  I imagine all those would work.
sauerkraut
swiss cheese
mayo
mustard

instructions:
preheat the oven to 350 or something.  whatever it says on the croissant package.
split out the croissant dough into its little triangles
put a square of swiss cheese at the base of each croissant
     **the regular square they come in are far too big.  I cut mine into fourths cause that seemed like the right thing to do.  In life, in general.
then put a folded piece of your choice of meat on top of the cheese
then, in a separate bowl get a good amount of sauerkraut and press it down with a fork really hard so it makes the juice drain out.  and then put a dollop of sauerkraut (that just sounds gross) on each croissant.
now you're ready to roll 'em up and throw them in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
while waiting, just mix a little mayo and mustard together, not a lot, just what you would put on the sandwich if you weren't putting it in the oven.

once they are done cooking, let 'em cool and dip 'em in the mayo/mustard combo and die and go to heaven.

how easy is that?
are you impressed I thought of that all by myself?


whatever, it's friday.

6 comments:

  1. WHITNEY! YOUKNOWILOVETHATPICTURE. CANTGETENOUGH.

    Don't hate me, but I don't like corned beef (not that you ended up finding it anyway!) or mayo or sauerkraut.

    GAAHH. I hope we can still be friends.

    Actually, just bake some crescent rolls and I'll be right over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE GRACE FACE!! It's perfect with this!

    Now I want to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Alissa...HOWEVER I am proud of you for being such a spectacular chef lady. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, the nommings that will occur now, thanks to you. Genius. Just, genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. You are genius! Actually, I don't like Reuben's....please don't hate me, but my husband loves them!! He is going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a culinary mastermind. However, with that being said, I will probably never try these. Blanketed food worries me on many levels. And mayo gives me the heebiejeebies.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget