Whatever Wednesdays: A Recipe

Annnd I'm back to working overtime for the week and the thought of blogging a delicious recipe was too much to think about.  I seriously contemplated taking pictures of myself going through the drive thru.  Buuut I made some soup the other night that was actually delightful and I had left overs so I'm going to not quite blow off this post, but also not put a whole lot of effort into it.

It's a fantastic recipe for Cream of Broccoli soup I got off Pinterest.  I LOVE cream of broccoli, but every time I try to buy the mix from the store, it's always "cheddar broccoli" or something which is NOT okay.  And I don't do canned soup unless it's tomato, so I've been on the hunt for a made-from-scratch recipe for awhile now.  Well folks, I found it.


Don't mind the blinding lighting in this photo.   I swear it's so yummy.  Here is how ya do it:

ingredients:
6 T of butter
2/3 cups of flour
2 T of more butter
1/4 cup of chopped onion
4 cups of broccoli florets (I just used a bag of frozen ones and sorta chopped em up a bit more once thawed)
6 cups of chicken broth (roughly ((or exactly)) three cans)
3/4 cup of half and half
1 t of salt
1/4 t of pepper

directions:
1. in a smallish saucepan on lowish heat, melt the first 6 T of butter, once melted add the flour and stir until its nice and smooth.  Don't brown it though.  Bad juju.

2. in a large-ish saucepan, melt the next 2 T of butter, add the onion and cook until tender.  Then add the florets of broccoli and stir for about six minutes.  I think though, if you use the frozen ones, just nuke in the microwave and then you don't have to stir for six minutes.  That's probably only if you are using the fresh stuff. THEN pour all the chicken broth in the in the large-ish pan and increase the heat until it comes to a boil basically whisking that sucker the whole time.  Once it's all bubbly and stuff, add the butter/flour combo and keep stirring til it's nice and thick and still bubbly.

3.  This bring us to the final steps where you add the salt, peppa and half and half. Mix it all up, and serve hot with salad or a nice summer sandwich.  It's magnificent, I tell you.

and as always, this was the outcome:

so proud. so proud.

10 comments:

  1. Now, are "small-ish" and "large-ish" real pan sizes? I will have to check mine and see if this is what they're called.

    THIS LOOKS DELISH, SERIOUSLY. I love soup!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney...if you took a picture of yourself in a drive thru, I would've died a happy, happy girl. Okay, now I have to read the rest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, this is pretty much amazing looking and I heard it's best to eat it in the month of October. Did you hear that, too?

      Delete
  3. well this sounds and looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy!!! I love cheese, and this kind of soup, look soooo yummy, especially on a crisp, fall day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anytime you throw in Grace you can't go wrong. Whitney this looks good, it does. But I literally would have peed my pants if you photographed the drive through adventure, that would have been hysterical. The fact that you even thought about it is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmmm this looks yummmmy. I am worried about the smell. Does it smell? Clearly I have issues with how soup smells.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bangs!

    I'm not allowed half and half, butter, or flour on my current "be super sexy" diet. Thus, reading all of these awesome recipes that call for a collective 2 Paula Deen's worth of butter is killing me. It looks so good Whitney, so good.

    please enjoy it extra for me, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also thought about the drive through. Next time!!!

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget