Elizabeth Smart's Story

So, I was at Wal-Mart yesterday buying frivolous things and as I was walking up to the cash register, the book Elizabeth Smart just came out with was on display.  I don't know if you guys remember the whole Elizabeth Smart sitch, it was 11 years ago and I don't know how big it was outside of Utah.  But basically, she was kidnapped out of her own bedroom in the middle of the night and lived 9 months with this deranged, disgusting, lower than the dust of the earth couple up in the mountains above Salt Lake City.  And for the winter months in California until they traveled back to Utah where she was found.  It was very sad, and I remember back when she was kidnapped I went to bed every night fearing that my own bed, in my own home wasn't as safe as I had once thought.  She was only a year or so older than me.  She was taken out of her bed with a knife to her throat. If that could happen to her?  It could happen to anyone.  And I remember the day she was found. All of Utah was celebrating.  I remember hearing that she could barely get into her own home because there was so many people on the streets and sidewalks cheering for her return.

ANYWAYS.  I bought the book.  It's about everything thing that she went through in the 9 months she was gone. I read it all last night.  And I don't think I've ever been so sad or cried so much throughout a book.  Usually, it's the endings that get me.  But this one had me in tears from the very beginning and through the whole thing.  It is so. heartbreaking.  Like- I don't even know what to say coming away from this story except wow.  Wow at what happened to her.  Wow at what she survived.  And Wowie Wow Wow at what she has become.


5 comments:

  1. I read Jaycee Dugard's book a couple years ago. That was an intense read, too. Crazy what these girls went through.

    PS: I hope you were at Walmart buying stuff for your TRIP TO NEW YORK. Oh, that reminds me, I need to email you and Shay to discuss some details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been so intrigued by this book, but wasn't sure about it. Now I have to read it. Thanks so much for sharing your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just heard an hour long interview with her on NPR and again was shocked at what an AMAZING person she is. So utterly inspirational. Her strength is incredible. I might have to get the book now too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She spoke at USU last year and I was floored by her inner beauty and strength. She's such a good example of how a person can encounter ugly things and still find plenty of beauty. You've totally convinced me to go out and get the book now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whit, you silly goose. That Elizabeth Smart is world famous, she's known trust me, outside of Utah. I still remember where I was when I heard that they found her, and I didn't believe it. God has a plan for her, her heart is unbelievable, because I know that my heart wouldn't have survived something like that. I can't even read the book, I can't.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget