Utah Goes to New York Day 5

We woke up early early Friday morning to go to the big city.  We were taking the train and from Mechanicville it was about a 3 hour ride.  We didn't anticipate the traffic being as heavy as it was on our way to the train station in Albany though, and we ended up missing the first train.  We were kind of bummed at first, but in retrospect it was a good thing. The blisters on the bottom of my feet at the end of the day had me wanting to crawl.  I don't know what I would have done with another hour and a half on them.  The train ride was quiet and peaceful for the most part.  Until that is we hit a fallen tree on the track and the engineer wanted to stop to make sure the train was ok.  Alissa was like, "This has literally never happened to me before."  And the rain was pounding on the windows outside, I was just waiting for the dementors to board the train.  Luckily no damage was done and we were back on our way to the Big Apple.

We got there just in time to make it into the next tour of Ground Zero.  You have to go through heavy security like you would in an airport.  And get this.  I had my pepper spray in my purse.  Like, my really good stuff that didn't come cheap.  And I was thinking If I tell them about it, they will take it away.  So, I just buried it under all my stuff in my purse and sent it through the x-ray machine and totally made it through.  I had no intention of using it in there or anything, but I didn't want to lose it.  I'm still kind of surprised they didn't catch me though.

Ground Zero had a very sacred ambiance to it.  It was so quiet in there.  All you could hear was the waterfalls in the memorial of the buildings.  It was gorgeous.



This is the new World Trade Center and the Survivor Tree.  It was amazing to see what survived and what  has come of the whole thing.  The new building is beautiful and strong.  I just stared at it.

After Ground Zero we walked a few blocks down to meet up with Liesl, a fellow blogger over at Fabulous Fashion.  She took us to this little pub for lunch.  I loved walking up the cobblestone streets and seeing the history in the buildings.  Like I said a few posts ago, there is nothing like that in Utah. Liesl is such a doll.  She was so warm and out going it was like she was our friend all along.  It was great to sit and chat with her and hear about life in NYC.

 After lunch, Leisl took us down the road to where a movie was being filmed.  We stood outside watching this sushi restaurant that had been dressed up to look like a hotel waiting for Keanu Reeves to come out.  It took them an hour to get the camera in the right place and the car outside the sushi hotel shiny enough before they told us we were in the way and had to move.  We decided we didn't want to see Keanu Reeves bad enough to keep waiting.  Though if it had been Ryan Gosling we would have camped out all night.

 When we finally left the movie set, Liesl took us to the Pier where Alissa (our Titanic passenger in a past life) tried not to make any eye contact with large boats.  She explained the layout of the city and gave us directions to the places we wanted to go.  Honestly, without her help we would have wandered aimlessly around the city the rest of the day.



Times Square was next on our list and even though we weren't there very long, it was awesome to see this iconic block of the city.  Alissa showed us where the ball drops every New Year's Eve.  I got to see the giant Coca Cola sign.  All the signs really were just beautiful in their own electronic sort of way.




We tried finding the Empire State Building for longer than you would think it would take.  And we never actually made it inside because we had to get to a dinner date with another blogger, but it was amazing to see towering over it's neighboring sky scrapers in the glow of the sunset.


The day in the city felt somewhat rushed.  It's impossible to do NYC in a day, but I feel like I saw everything I wanted to.  And I even experienced almost getting run over by a taxi.  Really though, that was terrifying.  

5 comments:

  1. I always wondered what they did in New York when they make all those films and what the people around did. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you just used a dementors reference regarding the train. it made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel like I am rushed in NYC as well! So much to see and so little time! I've always wanted to go to see the Ground Zero memorial though. I've heard it's so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about when you fell asleep on the train and Alissa snapchatted it to me? That was my fave.

    The 9/11 memorial. It is just incredible. I haven't been...but your pictures are amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life has been a bit of a whirlwind so I'm a bit behind, but love, love, love your NYC wrap up! You ladies were all so much fun, and it was such a great day with you walking around the city on what was a truly gorgeous day...I'll thank all of you for that! You were so much fun, so sweet and I felt as though I already knew you, too! You are welcome anytime! Great pictures, too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget