The Odds Probably Aren't in Your Favor

So some interesting news flashed across the internet yesterday when Warren Buffet announced that he is going to pay ONE BILLION DOLLARS to somebody if they have a perfect March Madness bracket. (source if you want to read more)  First of all- that's insane. Second of all, I'm gonna need a whole lotta brackets over here.  When we heard that at work we were like, "Okay, between the four of us, we could just go fill out thousands and thousands of brackets and just split the winnings.  Cause that's still $250 mill a piece."  I remember learning about how to do the math on something like that back in high school. You know, calculating the number of possibilities.  And of course I don't remember how to do it myself so I googled "how many different possibilities are in a 64-team bracket?"  You know what Google told me?  For the record, I was anticipating like, tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of different outcomes.  And we were like, "Who cares?  It's not like we're doing anything else during the winter months! Let's win a billion dollars."  Well, we were wrong.  The exact number that it comes out to be is:

9,223,372,036,854,775,808

is that number too big for your brain to process?  I'll spell it out for you.  Nine Quintillion, Two Hundred Twenty-Three Quadrillion, Three Hundred Seventy-Two Trillion, Thirty-Six Billion, Eight Hundred Fifty-Four Million, Seven Hundred Seventy-Five Thousand, Eight Hundred Eight different possible March Madness brackets. Two say our spirits went from being really high to realistically low would be an understatement.  So our next plan of action is to go to Vegas, take their odds of the bracket and kind of take it from there.  

But in all seriousness, there has got to be at least a few who get lucky and fill out a perfect bracket.  I'm so much more interested in March Madness this year than I ever have been before.


6 comments:

  1. I AM ROOTING FOR YOU!!!!! I will fill out some brackets if you give me 2% of your winnings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOO MANY NUMBERS. TOO MUCH MATH.

    BUT I HOPE YOU WIN, GIRL. I HOPE YOU WIN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so you're telling me there's a chance!!!!!! i will only root for you a little bit, because i am rooting for myself more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is insane. Simply insane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha oh my goodness is that an actual number!!? And that picture is so hilarious! I am rooting for you all the way!!

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget