"You Can't Rush Awesome"

So as most of you know- my little sister departed from Salt Lake International to Beunos Aires, Argentina for the next six weeks and then onto Asuncion, Paraguay for the next 16 1/2 months.  I am so mind-blowingly proud of her and at the same time I feel like a glass figurine that was knocked off a shelf- shattered.  Mariah is my best friend.  And to only be able to communicate with her via email and letters for the next 18 months is the hardest thing I've had to do since Brenden left on his mission back in 2007.  But, that's not what this is all about.  Mariah is going to serve the people of Paraguay with a love like no other.  She is going to move mountains down there.  And I cannot wait for the stories.

I spent the night up in Layton on Tuesday night with her.  Just before her getting set apart, she FaceTime-ed Brenden one last time. (He is in Nevada working for the summer so he had to say goodbye to her in person last week.)  We were just talking and laughing when Brenden said something along the lines of, "Goodbyes may seem hard, but before you know it you'll be back." When that made me think of the part in The Fox and the Hound when the old lady is dropping Tod off in the forest so the hunter wouldn't kill him.  And the music in the background as she is leaving him goes, "Goodbyes may seem forever, farewell- is like the end.  But in my heart's a memory, and there you'll always be..."  And I thought I would be so funny if I pulled that up on my phone as he was saying that to Ri and as the music started to play we were laughing and I was like, "This is the part where she is taking the fox into the forest-" And I BROKE DOWN in tears.  OUT OF NOWHERE.  I just got this image of us leaving Mariah in the airport and I was so caught off-guard I just lost it.  And then my mom started to cry, and Mariah started to cry and Brenden was like, "Are you crying?! Is mom crying? Are you all crying?!"  And we started to laugh AND cry which just made it sound like we were out of control sobbing.  It was pathetic.  And hilarious.  And when Landon got there after work I tried recounting the story to him and I started crying all over again!!  In fact, I really can't listen or watch that part now without breaking down.


She was set apart as a missionary at about 7:30 pm and after that was over, Landon and I had to rush to Sam's Club to pick up a bunch of pictures Mariah had ordered before they closed.  We got out of the neighborhood and I turned around to see the most beautiful, vibrant, full-arched rainbow directly over our home.  I was overcome with such a peaceful feeling; everything was going to be okay.


We went to dinner afterwards where Mariah ordered a full rack of ribs as her last meal in the states.  That sucker was as big as her own rib cage and she pounded it. We had such a fun evening getting our last bit of laughs with her.  And when we got home, Landon and I gave her her late birthday present- a Paraguay soccer jersey.  She looked like a natural in it.


We had to run to the store that night to get her some eye-liner and some last minute things.  My mom was like, "What do you want for breakfast in the morning before we leave?"  And Mariah knew the next morning was going to be super busy so she didn't want to request a huge breakfast but still wanted something other than cold cereal and she was like, "Crepes.  Just kidding... Crepes.  Just kidding....Crepes..."So I got up and made her some crepes with nutella, strawberries and bananas for her last breakfast.

We got to the airport a little later than we had planned thanks to traffic and trying to get her bags to be under 50 lbs, but we got her through.  The last minute hugs were pretty heart wrenching, but she only shed a few tears and never stopped smiling.  She is so ready for this.



this was the ride to the airport and the final hug.  As you can see, she is handling it much better.


only 18 more months til the girls are together again.  Ri gave us matching necklaces that we will wear while we're apart.


This will probably be the screen saver on my phone for the rest of my life.  She is such a beauty.

As she was walking up to Security, we ran to the ropes and called to her: 

"YOU CAN'T RUSH AWESOME!"

We have many family cheers and that is one of them.  She turned around, beaming, and gave us a big thumbs up before she disappeared into the crowds.  She is going to be okay.  She is going to be more than okay- she is going to be great.  And powerful.  And so so happy.  It's selfish of me to wish she was still sitting next to me, but in truth, there is no where I would rather have her be than down there serving the people of Paraguay.  I took this video of her last week, it was this idea of hers and she has been wanting to make it forever.  It was so funny to us at the time- but it is so true. 

She is changing the world.

9 comments:

  1. Now you're making ME cry. Mariah is so lucky to have this opportunity to go out and help the people of Paraguay- and they are just as lucky to have her! She seems like such a wonderful girl. I'm so glad you guys got to make the most out of your last couple days together.

    Maybe I should threaten to leave my family for 18 months and they will make me crepes for breakfast. I'll let you know how that one works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, your dad just called and he said he would make literally ANYTHING to get you to leave for 18 months, or forever. Bye.

      Delete
    2. Stop talking to my dad without my permission.

      Delete
  2. AHHHH, WHITNEY! I saw that bottom picture on Instagram last night and wanted to like it 1,000 times. I'm so excited for her - what a great adventure she is about to go on! And I know it won't be easy for you back home, which is why I'm offering to move into your new house for the next 18 months. See ya soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhhh your sis is going to do amazing things and it is ok to be a little selfish in wishing she was still here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so precious. i love how close you guys are. you are both gorg. (gorgeous. duh).

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS IS THE SWEETEST THING. I have zero siblings but I still got emotional over this.

    Also: HOT DANG YOU LOOK AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm super duper behind on blogs. Sorry about that. Your sister is going to do so much good! And I really, truly hope that these next 18 months fly by for you, so that she's back with you again soon.

    And I second Michelle: You are looking so incredible lately! Wowzer!

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget