A Perfect Moment Between Strangers

I hope this story doesn't come off as strange, because when I told Landon he kind of thought I was weird that I was so excited about it.  BUT- I need to throw it out in the universe and let it simmer because I am still just tickled to death by it.

So Saturday afternoon, one of my best friends had a baby shower thrown for her down in Lindon. (remember when I used to live there?)  It was scheduled to go from 2-4, but getting together with your dear friends like that, you know you'll be staying longer.  So I didn't actually leave until around 5:30.  I called Landon to let him know I was on my way home, and he had just gotten off work and was chilling and playing video games and I was all, "K, cool.  I'll be home in like an hour."  So I start up Provo canyon and I start thinking how if I go home, I'm not going to have a ton to do while Landon is unwinding via his PS4 and I decided to drive up Squaw Peak- Provo's finest make out point- to watch the sunset.

I got up there around six or so.  The sun doesn't actually set until around 6:40 right now, so I just sat on the stone wall and took in the view of the valley below me.  It was ridiculously windy and I think I was like the 11th wheel up there, but I didn't really care that much.  After about 30ish minutes, the sun started to drop down to the mountains, and you guys, the most beautiful colors exploded all over the sky.  I'm not joking.  This was thee most breathtaking sunset I'd ever witnessed and I was losing my freaking mind.

side note:  Sunsets are my thing.  They're my family's thing.  We get way too excited over pretty sunsets, and lunar eclipses and blood moons and shooting stars and anything in the sky, really.

So, I'm up there alone when this yellow jeep pulls up and this dude who looks to be around, I don't know, 50ish years old gets out and is DYING over this sunset.  Like- to the same magnitude as I was.  He had his phone out and was videoing it and taking pictures and was repeating the same phrases over and over like, "I can't believe this."  and "I've never seen anything like it." I started to laugh because I felt like he and I were really the only ones up there truly appreciating what was happening right before our eyes.  So I asked him if he was from the area, and he said no, he was from further North and his "hiking buddy" had just introduced him to Provo Canyon and he was in love with it and "Oh my gosh, I've never seen a sunset this beautiful."  And as we were talking the sky just got more golden and pink and purple and the sunlight on the blue sky made it green and it got to the point where he and I couldn't even speak full sentences.  He got that we were clearly on the same level with our love for the sky and it turned into this real bonding moment.  He took a picture of my with the sky behind me and I did the same for him and his hiking buddy and we took in the last seconds of the sky in silence before the sun dipped behind the mountains, taking all the color with it.

His name was Patrick.  And that's all I know about him.  That, and he gets me.  We shook hands before we left and said to me, "Whitney, it was so good to meet you and share this sunset with you. I just have to tell you what a beautiful countenance you have and such a good heart. God bless." And we went our separate ways.

I don't know why I was so moved by sharing a moment like that with a complete stranger.  I think that it's because I'm so wrapped up in my own little world that I forget there are other people out there who have the potential to walk in and change my life and then leave.  And that's magical to me.

I know I'll never see Patrick again.  But I hope that wherever he is, he is seeing a really kick-ass sunset.


7 comments:

  1. That picture is SERIOUSLY the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. AND THE SUNSET IS NICE TOO.

    BUT REALLY- I think it's adorable you went up there alone, but still had someone to share it with. He's a little sunset angel!! In college, I went to Aruba on spring break and we went on a booze cruise and there was this old guy who kept taking to me and my group of girlfriends the whole night, and as we were leaving he yelled back to us "If I never see you guys again this week, I'll see you in heaven someday!" and it was *the* most adorable thing, maybe ever. Maybe your sunset guy and my booze cruise guy are the same guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! I pictured the whole thing doing down like the double rainbow and the guy who flipped out over that. It cracked me up.

    I also love that you said you were "tickled to death." The only other person I know who says that is my very Texan grandmother who says it in a super thick accent, and it's so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to skin you and wear you like last year's Versace - stop being so damn pretty!

    Isn't it crazy how we meet people, connect with them, and walk away knowing that the odds of our paths crossing again is slim to none?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought I'd let you know that I stalk this place often to see if anything new is happening. *crickets* Love you, Whit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you telling me about this, and I have seen that picture and I have always wondered where it came from but now I can put two and two together. I love the story, I love the picture.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget