Can't Put "Functioning Adult" on My Resume Anymore

So I mentioned in yesterday's blog post that we went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner.  I did not mention what happened when we were done and were leaving the restaurant. Well, let me tell you what happened.  We were walking around the corner to the front of the restaurant when I saw through the crowd an ex-boyfriend of mine.  I haven't seen or heard from this dude in years, mind you, and he was with a girl. He had his arm around her, someone was taking their picture and they looked very happy.  All I could say was, "oh no." as I slowed my walk and frantically searched for another way out of the restaurant because currently the only exit was right next to them.  Jenessa noticed me freezing up as did the rest of my family when I started walking like a baby giraffe.  They didn't know what was wrong, but just went with it when my voice and laughter got a little high pitched and squeaky and my pace quickened.  I figured if I could just pretend like I didn't see him, all I had to do was go out the door and I'd be good.  So that's what I did.  I fixed my gaze past him, linked arms with Jenessa and tried to walk at a normal, "totally-not-spazzing-out" pace out the door.  Well, just my luck, they turned to leave the establishment at the same moment and now I was just walking right next to them still trying to pretend like I didn't know they were there.  And to be honest, I think I did pretty good at it.  It was probably one of the few times where I didn't make an awkward eye contact with someone I was trying to ignore, and even though we walked the length of the parking lot within 10 feet of each other, I made it to the car without having to say hello.  I also managed to talk through my teeth to Jenessa and fill her in on the situation at hand.  That being that I dated the dude walking next to me six years ago and OMG I CANT EVEN.

We got in the car and I could see him across the way opening his door for his lady friend (after later stalking him via the internets, I learned that was his wife.) I saw him glance at our car one more time before getting in his and backing out.  My mom knew he was obviously was a guy from my past and asked who he was and I filled everyone else in.  I was like, "I don't think he saw me though. Luckily." To which Brenden scoffed and said he was staring at me the whole way through the parking lot. 

So that was neat. 

Why I couldn't have just said hello to him? I don't know.  Or even a nod and friendly smile in his direction, just acknowledging his existence? Beats me! Because here is the thing- that guy? He was SO good to me when we dated.  He took me on the funnest dates, drove all the way down to Orem to see me when I was going to school.  My roommates thought he was awesome , he was TOTALLY cute, he had a lot of ambition and when it ended between us? It was not a bad break up.  It was just a, "Our lives are taking us in different directions and this was fun, I think you're an amazing person  but it's obviously not going to work out in the long run" sort of break up.  I didn't even cry or mourn or anything because it was one of those "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" (I'm just as bugged by that cliche as you are) relationships.  I don't regret dating him, or think he is a bad guy.  I'm actually really happy for him and his wife and for how well his life is going. So WHY did I freeze up like he was the love of my life who put my heart in a blender and hit purée? BECAUSE HE DIDNT.  I've gotten that way around other exes I've ran into, but those were for the aforementioned reasons.  But him?! Ugh. In retrospect, I'm very embarrassed for the way I behaved.  

Cool job, Whit. Cooool job.

2 comments:

  1. Haha!!! I have BEEN THERE. I ran into my ex and his fiancé at Ikea a few years ago. I was so desperate to avoid him that I literally hid myself behind hanging curtains in one of the showrooms when he walked by. The only reason I ended up approaching him is because my mom was there and forced me to, and also because I was running out of curtains to hide behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whit, I would have done the same thing. I'm so bad around exes. I wish I could put a horrified emoji here >>

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget