Landon's Birthday Weekend

So, I don't even really know where to start with this weekend update.  Except that I might not even get through writing it because I'm so tired.  When my alarm went off this morning, I nearly cried.  The only reason I didn't was because I had so much fun it was totally worth losing a ton of sleep over.

Yesterday was Landon's birthday and like always, it turns into a weekend event.  We've religiously gone to the car show every year because it always falls on his birthday weekend, he wanted to go snowboarding and his mom threw a birthday lunch for him at her house yesterday.  We had our work cut out for us.  I woke up at 6 am Saturday morning because I had a 5 mile run planned that I wanted to do before we went snowboarding.  It was pitch black and so foggy outside that I couldn't see three feet in from of me.  Luckily, I wasn't running on the road because I couldn't see cars until they were driving right past me.  2.5 miles into the run when I was at my turn-around point I started to realize my eyes were sticking together a little bit every time I blinked.  I took out my camera to see what was up and I found that my entire head was just about covered in ice.  So, that was a brisk start to my Saturday morning.

Once I got back from my run, I woke Landon up so we could get ready to go snowboarding.  We wanted to leave really early since last Saturday is the busiest ski day of the year with it being MLK weekend.  We got there right at nine and boarded until noon.  It has been snowing at night the past couple days so we were greeted with about 6 inches of fresh powder.
We stuck to the north side of the resort and evaded the crowds for the few hours we were up there.  Landon took me down one of his favorite natural half pipes called Cainus Lupis.  I've been down it before but I haven't loved it in the past because it requires a lot of aggressive carving in a tight space.  But the snow was so good I couldn't pass it up.  Landon is unbelievable at that kind of terrain.  He is killer at moguls too.  I've been trying to go down more black diamond runs with him this year to try to get better, and I just marvel at how aggressive he is with those monsters.  Snowboarders typically hate moguls because you're basically just doing 1-80's over and over and over and you have to be quick, and holy cow, Landon just slices through them.  By the time he is at the bottom of the run, I'm barely working up the courage to try to turn toe-side down one of them.
I love snowboarding more than anything else, but I still have so much work to do to get as good as him.  He definitely likes to take me out of my comfort zone, and that's really the only way I can get better.  But in return, I make him photograph me to prove that I'm doing hard things.  He's a really good sport about it. :)

After we got home from snowboarding, we came home and crawled back into our warm bed to eat some lunch and watch New Girl on Netflix.  That turned into a decent little nap before I got up to get ready for the night.  My dad was meeting us in Salt Lake to go to the car show us.  We grabbed some dinner at Mimi's Cafe first and my dad gave Landon some WSU swag.  He also gave him some money to go towards a new sound system Landon has been saving up for to put in our truck.  Landon thinks that I will like it more if I can get the speakers bumping like we did in our Ford that we sold a few months ago. (I'm still not over it.)  I also made out with a new WSU hoodie and hat from my dad.  He saw me eyeing them at the bookstore last week when I was up there getting text books.  Sunny asked if I was that child that had to get a present on her brother's birthday so she wouldn't feel left out.  I'm not, for the record.  But I haven't taken the hat off since he gave it to me.
The car show was rad.  Landon LOVES cars, he is reading about them non-stop and could pretty much tell you anything you could want to know about them.  So, every year that kid is zipping around the South Towne Expo Center spouting out prices and upgrades and horse power figures.  I just smile and nod and give the proper amount of ooh's and ahh's when his face is telling me it's impressive.  We stayed just about till closing time before we ran out to our trucks, said our goodbyes to my dad and fell asleep in the backseat on the way home.

Sunday morning, I woke to a text from Mariah.  She had stayed at her friend's cabin in Midway two miles down the road from us the night before and was wanting to go to church with us instead of driving all the way home just to turn around and drive back with my mom and brother.  I told her OF COURSE, and she was at my house trying on my dresses an hour later.  If you follow me on Snapchat, you have probably already seen some of our shenanigans.  I love that kid more than anything.  I try and try to convince her to move into our spare bedroom and live with us.  That's kind of like having a kid, right?

After church, my mom and brother drove up to Heber and we all met up at Sunny's house for a feast.  I love getting to have both of our families in one place and having a great time.  I especially love it when I get to hang out with Brenden AND Mariah.  We are the three amigos and we get laughing so hard.  I am so lucky to have those two for my best friends.

That afternoon consisted of eating enough food to feed a small village and watching football.  Well, some people were watching football, Brenden and Kenyon were on the ground wrestling each other for hours on end.  It's really funny to watch Kenyon try to even fight Brenden who stand at 6 foot 5.  Brenden would just kneel over the top of him and hold his arms down with his legs while he tickled him with one hand and covered his mouth with the other hand because people were complaining they couldn't hear the game over Kenyon's shrieks.  Mariah and I watched and tried not to catch and elbow in the face while we were choreographing lip syncs and climbing on top of each other's shoulders.
In retrospect, I find it funny how different mine and Landon's families are.  And when it comes down to it, the differences between our families are the same differences between us. It's a nice balance, though.  I'm lucky that I love to spend my time with either side and can have just as good of a time.  But most of all, I'm so lucky that I am able to celebrate the greatest human I know on his birthday as his wife.  He has given me everything I could have ever wanted and more.  I hope that I can do the same for him as we continue our lives together.
He deserves it.

2 comments:

  1. I think I have a slight crush on Landon's beard. I'm sorry.

    Confession: I didn't even know you could snowboard on moguls.

    Also, when you said you made out with a hoodie, I picture you literally making out with a hoodie. I AM SO TIRED, and I didn't even run 5 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, every time you post a snowboarding picture, a little piece of my heart dies, because it's been entirely too long since I've been skiing.

    Looks like the best way to spend a birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget