Training Sucks.

I know you're all dying to know; my drink was free again this morning.  This is the nicest burden I've ever dealt with.

It hardly affected me this morning, though, I swear I've got one foot in the grave right now.  I was supposed to run five miles last night and then eight miles tomorrow, BUT we've got a big storm headed our way tonight.  Sometime in the morning yesterday I had the brilliant idea to swap the runs and save myself three miles in the blizzard. (Because I am NOT running either of those on a treadmill.)  It was a great idea, at the time.  Even now after it's all said and done with, I'm glad I did the eight miles last night, but just you listen to how awful it was.

So first of all, Landon and I needed to interview his mom for a homework assignment last night.  I decided I would just run from our house up to hers because it should be right around eight miles and he could just meet me up there.  I didn't leave until 5:40, though and it was getting chilly out so I told him to keep his phone nearby in case I needed him to come rescue me.  I layered up, packed up and strapped on my Camelbak, and headed out.  Fast forward through the first four miles, because those were fine.  Just after hitting mile four, I started on the stretch of straight, side-walkless road up to Sunny's.  It was quite dark at this point and the street lamps had started to taper off, so I pulled out my headlamp and turned it on.  To my dismay, the light didn't work!  I switched through all of the settings frantically, thinking my battery was dead, when the red flashers turned on. (It turned out it was frozen because the normal lights worked when I went inside.)  I still couldn't see anything in front of me, but at least I had one more thing to make me more visible to oncoming traffic aside from my reflective, neon coat.  Since there was no sidewalk, I tried to stay on the street as much as I could.  The shoulder was only about a foot and a half wide and it was frozen mud, so I didn't want to run on it without light for fear of twisting and breaking my ankles.  But, when cars would come towards me I didn't have a choice but to jump off to the shoulder to stay out of their way.  When they would get close enough, their headlights would light up the ground enough that I could see the fluctuations in the frozen ground and  I could plan my steps.  But then my eyes would adjust to their light and when they'd drive past it was like when you turn off the light in your bedroom and try to find your way through the dark to your bed.  I was blind.  I'd stumble my way back onto the asphalt and keep going.  It wasn't long before my Camelbak froze and I couldn't get a drink anymore.  I stopped and took my coat off and put my Camelbak on underneath the coat.  At this point it was about 18 degrees outside and my the muscles in my legs were so tight I felt like I was running through molasses.  I was about six miles into the my run; still nearly two miles away from Sunny's. I was blind, sore and disoriented.  I was ready to fly to white flag.  I figured I would call Landon, have him pick me up and I could finish the last of my run on her treadmill.  It would only be a mile or so anyway, because it would take about 10 minutes for Landon to get to me.  I pulled my phone of the front pocket of my coat and unlocked the screen, but the second I went to hit "call" the cold was too much for it and it shut off and would flash the charge symbol at me when I tried to power it up.  Now I was blind, sore, disoriented and completely unplugged with no way of contacting anybody. AND I didn't have music to run to anymore.  I shoved my phone down into my bra and pulled my gloves back on my icicle hands and trudged on.  About ten minutes later, my body temperature was enough to make my phone turn back on. I dialed Landon's number as fast and I could and stuck it back down in my bra so it wouldn't freeze up on me again and when Landon's cheery voice picked up on the other end, all I could wheeze out was, "Come. Get. Me."  He didn't ask any questions other than where I was and he told me he would be there in 10 minutes or less.  By the time he caught up with me I was about a quarter mile from his mom's house.  I had no interest in finishing the run outside, though, so I jumped in the truck and went straight to her basement to do the last of my run on her treadmill.

When I was training for the half marathon I did last year, I remember asking my whole family to come wait for me at the finish line because it was the only half marathon I was ever going to run.  When I finished the race, I had had so much fun, I quickly forgot I had said that and immediately wanted to sign up for another race.  After last night, I remembered immediately why I only planned on ever doing one; training sucks.  And last night was hands down the worst run of my life.  Probably the most dangerous, too.  When I type it out like this, I have just been laughing and shaking my head because it was so ridiculous.  But- I did it.  And now I only have to run five miles tomorrow and I'm genuinely happy about that.  I plan on doing it in the day, though.  And I'm picking a route that has sidewalks the entire way.

2 comments:

  1. Dude. The struggle. But I promise, when you cut miles in a few weeks, it's going to be the most amazing feeling. And don't forget - you get to do summer training, and summer training is literally God's gift to runners, because it means you are doing the blessed fall races, which start at the glorious hour of 9am. And all is good again. Also, it'll be in the 70's here all week. I'll clear off my couch for you.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget