And I Would Walk 500 Miles...Actually, No I Wouldn't.

I had to leave work early yesterday for an appointment that didn't last nearly as long as I thought it would.  I got home pretty early in the afternoon and was excited to be able to do my run in some sunshine for once.  This winter training is brutal with the sun setting at 5:15.  I was assessing my weekly schedule and the weather yesterday morning and I was distraught to find my Saturday and Sunday completely book and snow on Thursday.  As I read that I thought, that basically means I have to do Saturday's run tonight.  Saturday's run being a whopping 10-miler.  I hung my head, exhausted at just the mere thought of running 10 miles.  I knew it was coming up, but I didn't want to do it that day.  But like I said, when I got home earlier than I thought and the sun was out, I was like, "Okay.  We are doing this."  I packed up my Camelbak with more snacks, filled it with water and layered up.  Even though it was sunny out it was still only about 20 degrees.

Now the Heber Valley I live in is not big at all. Maybe two miles long if you're wanting to stay on sidewalks.  So after last week when I ran out of sidewalk and was left with frozen, uneven mud to run on, I decided that I was going to stick to Main Street and bike paths; as long as I wasn't running on shoulders again.  This resulted in me running 3 miles to Walmart, running around the Walmart strip mall perimeter (which is exactly one mile) twice, running not quite 2 more miles down to the other end of Main Street to Smith's Grocery Store (where I used their bathroom) and back another 3/4 of a mile to my turn off with about 2 1/2 miles left till home.  It was quite the winding run.  I am sure people thought I had lost it when they saw me lapping Walmart.  I was starting to think I had as well.

I really do love running.  Aside from it being great exercise I do it when I'm stressed or sad or just need some fresh air.  But running 10 miles is pure torture.  And next week I have to run 11, and the week after I have run 12!  Running an actual half marathon is so much fun, but man, training for one sucks.  I did feel good about the snacks I packed; I ate enough that I didn't get sick.  And my Cambelbak only started to freeze in the last half mile, so I wasn't without water like last week.  All in all, I felt pretty good about this run.  I feel like the marathon training is coming along well and my body's endurance is increasing at a healthy pace.  I just wish the race was next weekend so I don't have to do it anymore. haha

Once I got home, I crawled into the kitchen to make a protein shake and I went straight to the hot tub to warm my extremities and let my body know she did good.  And that I still loved her.  I didn't move from that spot for nearly an hour, until my stomach was grumbling so loudly it was making the kids in the pool think there was a sea monster in the hot tub.  I realized I should probably go replenish the carbs I had just evicted over the last few hours and I went home to make a delicious concoction of chicken with pesto, topped with tomatoes, fresh basil and mozzarella, all on a bed of wheat pasta and home made tomato sauce.  It was just what the doctor ordered.  The doctor is code for my stomach.
I then proceeded to eat chips and salsa and a bowl of kettle corn with Landon while I lay paralyzed on the couch.  I am able to walk this morning, but my knees are a little sore and I'm quite glad that today is abs and cardio and not leg day.  

Just recounting all of this made me tired again. And hungry.  

This is my life.

1 comment:

  1. Long run days are always my favorite (you know, when I actually bother to run), because nobody gets to tell you that you can't eat all of the food. I remember eating entire platters of Cafe Rio Nachos after 14+ mile runs, and then eating some of Ammon's too. Also, the way your body feels about an hour after a long run is great. When it's all stretchy and noodle-y and relaxed. Really, the long run is the best part of training. Everything else is just fitting in mileage and making it work. Long runs are special. Even when you have to circle Wal-Mart twice (I've totally been there before)

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget