DisposALL? More Like DisposNONE.

Last night was quite a roller coaster of emotions.  Let me tell you why (I know you're dying to know).  I went to they gym.  Typical.  I had to rush home because my dad was calling us at 7:30 to go over some assignments for our classes.  I needed to stop at the grocery store to grab some provisions and I got home just in time for the phone call.  Landon held the phone next to me with my dad on speaker so I could cook us dinner and listen at the same time.  I had been dreaming about this spaghetti squash I bought the other day and what kind of glorious meal I could make with it and I finally decided on a low-carb chicken parmesan bake on top of a mountain of roasted spaghetti squash.

*Can anyone tell me a safe way to slice up a spaghetti squash?!  Those suckers are like trying to cut through a rock.  I was reduced to swiftly hacking the large knife in one quick motion, enough to get it lodged into the squash and then I would lift it up and bang the whole thing on the counter repeatedly until the knife would cut through.  It's loud and messy, BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO.*

All went according to plan, after I had roasted it, I was cutting the peels off the rings of spaghetti squash and absent-mindedly tossing them into the sink while I listened to my dad.  Another 25 minutes went by and the chicken parm was done, so we said goodbye to my dad and got dinner on the table.  It was a masterpiece.


Like, I didn't even want to eat it, it was so beautiful.  We enjoyed our dinner and I went into the kitchen to do the dishes before we crashed on the couch for some R&R.  There was a bunch of food trimmings in the sink so I washed them down and flipped on the disposal.  I continued to do the dishes and started to whine about it because I swear it's all I do anymore and Landon came in to offer some help.  He washed the dishes while started to make some no-bake cookies I need for a presentation I'm doing tonight.  I was so happy he was helping me with the dishes that I didn't even notice that the sink was nearly full to the top with water.  Landon flipped on the disposal to suck it down and it didn't move.  You could hear the blade turning, but the water just churned.  We looked at each other like, "Oh no."  Landon asked how long it had been broken and I was like, "Maybe two minutes?? I just used it!" He stuck a wooden knife down the sink and moved it around and he was like, "There isn't anything down there..."  And then it hit me.  "I put the spaghetti squash rinds down the sink." I said, "I bet they clogged the pipes."  Landon opened the cupboard doors under the sink and sure enough, water was leaking all over.

He started to pull out everything under the sink so it wasn't ruined with gross dishwater.  We only had a couple bottles of cleaner, some rags and then my collection of grocery bags.  Actually, collection is an understatement.  I never throw those bad boys away; I just ball them up and toss them under the sink and use one to pack my lunch in every day.  I guess in the back of my mind I realized that using one a day as a lunch bag was not balancing out my weekly accrual of maybe 10 or 15 bags and that the "collection" was a tad out of hand, but that didn't stop me from saving every last one.  Landon started pulling out a year and a half's worth of grocery bags, and pulling them out and pulling them out and pulling them out.  After literally, about 30 seconds, I was almost in tears from laughing.  He was getting so mad at this never ending supply of bags when he was just trying to get to the pipes that were leaking at an uncomfortable rate.  It was like that magic trick where the magician pulls out that handkerchief that is 30 miles long.  A minute into it, we were knee-deep in hundreds of plastic bags by the time he pulled out the last one.  "I'm throwing ALL OF THESE away!"  He said as he furiously stuffed them all into the garbage can, "Out of SPITE."  "Not my collection!!" I cried in mock tones as he threw me some serious shade.  "They're all covered in old dish water."  He said. "Oh.  Never mind, then."

After watching a couple youtube videos and consulting a friend who works in maintenance, Landon had our sink taken apart, cleared of blockage, and put back together by the time I was done with my no-bake cookies.  And thankfully the majority of dishes had been washed before the fiasco.  Landon stood up from the floor and I sweetly offered him a fresh cookie and he looked at his hands covered in sink crap, looked back up and me and opened his mouth so I could feed it to him.  And I did.  He deserved that kind of treatment after saving me; even if it was at the expense of my grocery bag hoard.  I even packed him a few extra in his lunch today.
On a lighter note, have you ever had cookie butter?  Because if you haven't you need to make some changes in your life.  This stuff is on the same playing field as Nutella in my book.  Absolute heaven. I called these cookies Sum Bitches (HIMYM, anyone?) because that is what they are.

no one knows when this turned into a food blog.

2 comments:

  1. lololol at everything. I have the SAME grocery bag hoarding problem. You would die if you saw our laundry room. I should take a picture for you because it's completely out of hand. I feel like I can't throw them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing with grocery bags. We try to use the reusable ones most of the time, but still end up with an alarming number of plastic bags.

    Also, my secret to spaghetti squash: Just score the skin all over with your knife, and then pop it in the microwave for 10 minutes or so. When you take it out, it's fully cooked, and all you have to do is cut it in half and remove the seeds. It works for all hard squash, and is pretty much the best kitchen hack I have EVER fund.

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget