Applegeddon II

Can I just- can I whine for a minute?  I live a good life; I have fun.  But there have been just a few things that have been incredibly inconvenient this last week and I just need to vent.

First, I had a horrible, horrible accident last Wednesday night.  I fell asleep on the couch (typical) and woke up around 1 AM.  Now we got new couches a few weeks ago and I fell asleep on the recliner section.  When I woke up and was going to get up to go to bed, my phone slipped down in the crack of the couch and fell to the floor.  I was incoherent and I got down on the floor and lifted the recliner up to retrieve my phone.  Well, the phone landed in the perfect spot that when I did so, the reclining mechanism opened and the metal bar went straight into the screen of my phone; crunched it up like little piece of popcorn.  And, it pinned my phone in there, so not matter how I pulled, twisted or turn the phone, I couldn't get it out.  I could just hear cracking and crunching and Siri repeating over and over, "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear what you said."  Which is good, because it was probably profanity.

The thumb print reader was unharmed, but when I unlocked it, the three punctures in the screen were making all of my apps freak out.  In my daze, I immediately hard reset the phone without thinking it through.  I thought it would make the apps settle down.  What I didn't realize until it was too late was that I wouldn't be able to use my thumb print to unlock it after it reset.  It turned back on and wanted me to put in the passcode, but the mutilated screen had the same effect on the key pad making it impossible for me to input my code.  I was locked out completely.

I knew we had full coverage insurance on our phones, but that wasn't what I was worried about.  I was worried about if my phone had backed everything up on the cloud.  I don't know if you guys remember my last fiasco that I deemed APPLEGEODDON, where I accidentally restored my 2013 iPod touch to my iPhone when I was trying to back it up on my computer.  If you don't remember, I deleted everything and didn't have iCloud storage.  I also had a pretty entertaining conversation with customer support.  LUCKILY, I still had my old phone that I had upgraded from a couple months prior that I was able to restore a backup to and save the majority of my information with the exception of about a month and a half of photos.  So when things went bad, they weren't the worst.  After that, I started to back up my phone to my computer regularly incase I had another accident.  But, I recently tried backing up my new iPhone 7 and wouldn't you guess it, my freaking computer was out of space.  That was the straw that had to break the camel's back for me to finally purchase iCloud storage.

It was only about a month ago when I bit the bullet, but after I paid for it I never really followed up to make sure it was working.  So, when I pulverized my phone and then locked myself out, there was no way for me to check to see if all of my information had been backed up.

I'm sure you can imagine the horror/anger/depression cocktail I was mixing up as I sat there on my stairs yelling at my phone.  I'm positive my neighbors think I'm insane now.

I went to sleep and tried to forget about the phone because I was going to go snowboarding the next day and I didn't want to ruin that for myself.  Only to be woken up at 5:30 AM by my boss calling me.  My phone was downstairs but my Apple Watch was still ringing.  I was so confused, and obviously not able to answer the phone, when all of the sudden Landon's phone started to ring.  He woke up, looked at his phone and said, "Why are you calling me?"  I sat up and could hear Landon's voicemail recording on speaker coming from my phone in the dining room.  All the pieces of the puzzle started coming together; my phone was back from the dead and ghost calling people.  Which is why my boss had tried calling me back.  When I came in on Monday, he said he got five phone calls from me and a FaceTime.  He thought I was dying.  My theory is that my alarm went off on my phone, then that woke the screen up and the smashed part kept hitting all the buttons and locking me out again.  But when it kept happening, I think it self-swiped over to the emergency call list and started calling my emergency contacts I have saved in my phone.  Those people being my boss and Landon. So that was a fun thing to deal with at 5 in the morning when my phone wouldn't cooperate.  I couldn't even power it down because you have to do that slide thing to confirm you're actually powering it off.
THEN dealing with the insurance company was equally a nightmare.  I wanted them to just fix the screen instead of getting me a new phone because I was worried about my iCloud backup.  They said they wouldn't do that because my billing address isn't in Salt Lake and they only do screen repairs in Salt Lake.  The fact that I WORK in Salt Lake every day didn't make a difference.  So, then trying to get a new phone they told me they would only send me a black phone and that rose gold wasn't an option.  And maybe it sounds petty, but I didn't want a black one; I wanted my pink phone.  I mean, I paid like, $900 for that thing and I wasn't going to settle for a black one.  Come on.  After many transfers and talking to different agents, a lady finally told Landon that it wouldn't be a problem at all to send me a rose gold phone.  At that point, we were about slamming our faces on the wall for all the run around, but we accepted it and placed the order.

My new phone came yesterday while I was at work.  Landon was home and I told him to start her up and let me know the damage.  After an hour of updating, the verdict was in: my phone had done the backup and nothing was lost! After nearly a week of worrying, I was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief.

So like the last Applegeddon, when things decided to go bad, they went well.

Maybe that was a lot of complaining for me getting a brand new phone and not losing any pictures or information.  But I still had to pay a $200 deductible and I have to wait 4 days before a new screen protector shows up.  So I'll be babying my new phone until then.

I don't know- it was such a freak accident.  I probably couldn't get my phone to fall in that exact spot again if I tried.  And if I had just gone behind the couch and not opened the recliner at all, this never would have happened.  It was all just a stupid accident and a huge headache to get it all sorted out.  I'm just glad to have my phone back.

There were other things I was going to whine about, but I think I'll leave it at this.  I just needed to get it out of my system.  And if you drop your phone down the crack of your couch, DON'T OPEN THE RECLINER.

1 comment:

  1. OH MY HEAVENS, WHITNEY. What a disaster. I was a giant ball of stress reading this, yet laughing at the same time. I'm so glad everything worked out in the end!

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget