An Update on the New Job

That last post was heavy, wasn't it?  I can't believe it's been nearly three weeks since I wrote that.  It's been a whirlwind trying to get in the swing of things with the new job/life.  It has been- interesting, to say the least.  I mean, take me from three weeks ago and put her next to me today and it's just one extreme to the next; it's been and continues to be an adjustment.  I was used to waking up every day at 5:15 AM, barely doing the minimum (showering + mascara), eating a bowl of cereal, going to work in muddy jeans and steel-toed boots , and getting home by 4:15 in the afternoon.  Now my schedule will range anywhere from 7:30-2:30 to 2:00-10:00, and my days off are going to be sporadic throughout the week.  I have gone out and bought blazers, button-downs, and heels, and doing my hair and make up appropriately takes 4 times as long as it used to.


I'm not saying this because I miss the old ways (necessarily), but it's just a complete 180 from how I've lived and worked for the past six years and it's taking some getting used to.  I will say, however, it is really fun to actually feel like a girl and get pretty for work.


I knew that leaving Garco was going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done, and even three weeks later I'm still feeling the dull ache in my heart from how much I miss them.  While I haven't been an emotional wreck like I was in my last two weeks, I find myself clutching to any connection I can.  I've been actively deleting incoming out and outgoing calls in my phone so that I still see my boss and the foreman of the pit's names in my call history.  It makes it feel like I'm still talking to them every day.  I took pictures of every room of the lab before I left and I look at them at least once every couple days, and I swear I can still smell the asphalt cooking.  And I've been talking with my boss and old co-workers every few days, just a couple texts here and there, and they have no idea what it means to me. I cannot convey how badly I miss them; it's like nothing I've ever experienced.  Landon and I just finished watching the Office (for the 87th time) and I could barely breathe this time because I related more than I ever have in my life when Andy says, "I wish there was a way to know when you're in the good old days before you've actually left them."  I told my old boss the other day that I literally have to talk myself out of driving past Park City and down to the pit every morning.  He told me to stop listening to myself.  As time passes, I can't decide if it's getting harder or easier to do so.


But as much as I long for the Garco days, I am anxious for my new job to get going.  It's a ghost town in Park City right now since we're between seasons.  As more people start coming into town, I think I'll get better at what I'm doing.  I'm hopeful, anyway. I have an incredible team who is going to whip me into shape, I work at a breath-taking resort in the best city on Earth, and I'm in the mountains which is like, my dream, so I'm determined to not only succeed, but go above and beyond.


Just got to give it time, because it's all very bittersweet.  All I can say is that I've got good things ahead, and good things to look back on, and I am very aware of how lucky I am to be able to say that.





1 comment:

  1. It is so hard to leave something good, even when you know that there is something incredible that is on the other side! But it does get easier, I promise. It just takes time. Glad you had the chance to start at a slower time before things get insane!

    ReplyDelete

No need to stalk in silence, leave a comment.
do it.

There was an error in this gadget